Music helps people relax, get in a mood and it helps some people think. I was listening to one of my all-time favorite songs the other day, which just so happens to be No. 1 on this list and I thought (not for the first time) that the song was about more than just wine. The songs in this post may be about wine, or they may have “wine” in the lyrics. Here’s a few of my favorite wine songs:
- “Dust on the Bottle” – David Lee Murphy. Ol’ Creole might have had a flair for homemade wine, but Murphy’s lyrics make the song for me.
- “Hotel California” – The Eagles. Yes, this song does talk about wine. Check out these lyrics: So I called up the Captain, “Please bring me my wine,” He said, “We haven’t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine” and later, “The pink champagne on ice”
- “Strawberry Wine” – Deanna Carter. This song is about wine and love, what a coincidence – wine is often linked to a romantic evening nowadays.
- “Don’t Know Why” – Norah Jones. Her heart is “drenched in wine” – dare I say she was drunk on love when writing this song?
- “Watermelon Crawl” – Tracy Byrd. Lyrics: Well we got a hundred gallons of sweet red wine, Made from the biggest watermelons on the vine, Help yourself to some but obey the law, If you drink don’t drive do the watermelon crawl
And here’s some other songs I found that I didn’t realize were about wine or had wine in the lyrics:
- “What’s Your Name” – Lynyrd Skynyrd. Lyrics: Well, the police said we can’t drink in the bar, What a shame, Won’t you come upstairs girl, and have a drink of champagne
- “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” – The Rolling Stones. The opening verse: Well, I saw her today at the reception, a glass of wine in her hand and later in the song, And I saw her today at the reception, in her glass was a bleeding man
- “Brandy” – The Looking Glass. Lyrics: They say “Brandy, fetch another round,” she serves them whiskey and wine
- “Settlin’” – Sugarland. Lyrics: With some good red wine and my brand new shoes, Gonna dance a blue streak around my living room
- “Lady Marmalade” – Christina Aguilera, Pink, Mya and Lil’ Kim. Lyrics: Boy drank all that Magnolia wine and We drink wine with diamonds in the glass
- “Just One More” – George Jones. Lyrics: Well, one more drink of wine, then if you’re still on my mind, one drink, just one more and then another
- “Seasons in the Sun” – Terry Jacks. Lyrics: Too much wine and too much song, wonder how I get along
- “Half a Mile Away” – Billy Joel. Lyrics: Little Geo is a friend of mine, we get some money and we buy a cheap wine, sit on the corner and have a holiday
- “Honky Cat” – Elton John. Lyrics: It’s like trying to drink whiskey from a bottle of wine
- “Livin’ the Vida Loca” – Ricky Martin. Lyrics: She never drinks the water and makes you order French Champagne
What are some of your favorite songs that are either about wine or have wine in the lyrics?